Midcentury Finds For Your Modern Apartment
Splurging on iconic contemporary and Danish modern apartment furniture can be an investment. Despite burning a hole in your pocket, their sleek lines and fine craftsmanship can lend an air of understated sophistication and timelessness to any home or apartment that’s proven to last throughout the ages and retain its value. Of course, we happen to have the largest midcentury dealer in Northern California right here in the Bay Area - MidcenturyMobler, with its vast, rotating inventory of Danish-modern credenzas, chests, dressers, seating, and more - a great stop for anyone looking to binge on midcentury finds. However, if you’re craving modern design and apartment décor, but the price tags seem far from within reach, you might consider looking at more affordable replica pieces that are high on style and easier on the wallet. Whatever your budget, from retail stores to innovative outfits in LA and Etsy, here are a few ideas to give your pad that boost of cool you’ve been longing for.
In the Bedroom:
Built with graceful lines and gorgeous wood, these bedframes are the classic example of modern and minimalist bedroom design.
- Woodrow bed from Bluedot: $1699 for queen-sized frame in walnut.
- Rosewood bed from west elm: $799 for Queen
- Also, the Brasilia Bed from Scandinavian Design, for the unbelievably low price of $329 for a queen.
No midcentury home is complete without a shelving unit system, like this Vintage Teak Wall Unit from Etsy for only $85.
Also, this Selig Z-Style Teak Lounge Chair is a stunner for $700.
As we mentioned, there are quite a few replicas available out there that closely mirror pieces crafted by iconic designers. Here’s a shortlist of some eye-catching modern optionsmodern apartment furniture:
- Is that a Saarinen Dining Table?
Almost! This $199 Docksta table from Ikea is a close knock off of the Saarinen round table issued from DWR (which ranges from $2000-5000.)
- Mid-century aqua bonded armless chair: $248
Similar to the famous and rare Carters Scoop Chairs, these beauties are a fraction of the price.
- Jax leather and wire chair: $579
Urban Outfitters never ceases to amaze with its consistently cool retro replicas. This one is a close cousin to the fabled Hoop Chairs.
- If you want to rock, check out the Vinnie Cradle Chair for $106.
- Or, for a more bohemian spin on this modern rocker, check out this version for $299.
- Don’t have $4000 to spend on the Herman Miller classic Eames Lounge Chair and ottoman? Try the Lexington for $807.